I am not curious as to why the world hates the American people, and I am not askingwhy as I was enlightened a year ago with the below statements from other Western countries. And it was only then that I found out that I was a typical, self-entitlement-oriented, inbred, insular, nationalistic, inherently violent, unfashionable, paranoid, arrogant, unsophisticated, fat, lazy, vulgar, greedy, racist, spoiled-rich, ignorant, stupid, humorless, loud, obnoxious, gum-chewing, carbon-emitting, baby-killing, gun-toting, bible-thumping, flag-waving, and self-centered, globalizing, uncouth, swearmouthed and boorish non-human Neanderthal American obsessed with sex, celebrities and McDonalds that demands the entire world revolve around herself!
The below is the mainstream thought held by Americanophobic Canadians, the British and the rest of the world:
A small fraction of these are true, some are myths, some are the truth exaggerated, and some are pure propaganda. Please read my blog (under theAnti-American topics) to see how I address the above stereotypes of the “average American”.
What the British are saying:
What is so very wrong with that country:
1) They have the peculiar impression that their country is actually a worthwhile place. Naively patriotic idiots. We hate our country, and ourselves, and our government, and everything.
2) They elected George Bush. GEORGE BUSH. TWICE! About they stupidest bastard ever to take charge of a country! This is what happens if you give democracy to idiots!
3) They don’t give a crap about the rest of the world, yet when something happens to them, it’s an atrocious crime. Self righteous bastards.
4) They know nothing of a world outside their own borders. 90% can’t find Iraq on a World Map. Self obsessed morons.
5) Their ‘intelligence’. 1000 Americans a day go to airports without their passports….. most of them think the World Series involves the whole world etc.etc. Oh and 10% can’t find AMERICA on a world map! (sigh)
6) They claim to have ‘saved our ass’ in two wars. Before anyone tries to claim this:
WW1: they gave us almost no help, and only joined when the Germans sank many of their ships and tried to persuade the Mexicans to invade Texas
WW2: they refused to join, left us to deal with Hitler, and gave us no help. They SOLD us help, but that wrecked our economy after the war, which is why we’re no longer a superpower. Then they joined the war because Japan attacked THEM and Germany declared war on THEM.
7) America ‘culture’. Enough said.
8 ) If it’s to do with anyone else they’re rabid isolationists, if it concerns them, (or there’s oil) they act as international policemen. And pretty useless policemen.
9) Considering they’re the richest country in the world, they do a pretty shit job. Their education clearly hasn’t produced too many intelliegent people, and healthcare is perfectly nice so long as you have plenty of money.
10) They’ve screwed the English language up beyond belief. Their pointless spellings, particularly their decision to spell everything with ‘z’ rather than an ‘s’, together with their absurd pronunciation, do not deserve the right to be called ‘English’.
11) We have the ability to appreciate irony, thus making our sense of humour far superior.
12) Because theyre so self-obsessed they have no concept of foreign cultures, and don’t know much about foreigners full stop. This also makes many more of them than us xenophobic and racist. Where was the KKK formed??
13) Their ridiculous obsession with the ‘constitootion’ is unbelievably annoying…
14) The British are able to do american accents, but the americans are INCAPABLE of doing British accents.
15) They are convinced that being Americans, they are always right.
16) 2000 election. The governer of the close state, Florida, was Bush’s BROTHER, the guy who first called it for him on Fox news was his COUSIN, and the person in charge of counting the votes was also IN CHARGE OF HIS CAMPAIGN. Not to mention to fact that even with this, Gore still won more votes overall, but because of the weird American election system, Bush was elected.
17) American ‘beer’, more accurately described as diluted cat piss, which you have to be 21 to drink anyway!
18 ) Contrary to what all Americans seem to think, the internet is NOT an American invention. They seem to have a habit of stealing credit for things they didn’t invent.
19) In most states anyone can buy and carry a gun. Which surprises me, because I can’t understand who would give people of their intelligence anything even semi-lethal. All that happens is that 70,000 Americans are shot every year.
20) Who killed JFK?
21) Please stop fucking up our planet. Burning fossil fuels and blowing things up really isn’t fucking productive.
Another Brit gives more details:
Let me clarify that when I say America, I mean the United States of America, as a majority of people often do. Most people overlook the fact that America is actually a continent with a large number of interesting and varied countries that are not in the least bit as horrible as the USA. My complaints are exclusively targeted at the USA.
Well, I complain about the Americans continually, and as far as I am concerned, with plenty of reason. I often say that I hate Americans, which is a bit of a heavy-handed statement and not entirely meant. In reality, there are plenty of nice and plenty of horrible people in every country. The difference is that American society and culture frustrates and annoys me immensely.
So… The list:
– Obsessive pride. This really irritates me. I’m British, and a major component of the British sense of humour is insulting yourself. It doesn’t really matter if you mean it or not (and often I do, we have lots of problems of our own (New fucking Labour, for example)) but it’s the actual act of mocking oneself. I just can’t see Americans being able to find the modesty. There are bloody flags everywhere. Let me just explain that in stark comparison, I can’t think of anywhere I know of within 10 miles where I can see the flag of my country being flown.
It’s not because we don’t like our country or are not proud of it. We don’t need to demonstrate that pride continually. I almost applaud the sense of national pride that Americans have, but I don’t. It’s over the top and besides, I don’t think they have much to be proud of.
– History. I realise that Americans try to make the most of what history they have, which is very minute. There are pubs in my home town that are older than the USA. Most of the buildings in the town centre are probably older than the USA. The Grammar school that I went to was founded in 700AD, that’s 1300 years ago.
And that’s nothing. Nothing at all. The Great Pyramid, 4000 years old. Ancient Roman and Greek structures ranging from around 2000 years old (the Colosseum) to things like the Parthenon which is around 2500 years old and even neolithic structures in places like Scotland that can be around 6000 years old.
The USA is a very VERY new country, and it needs to realise that fact. There is no history in the USA. So stop banging on about the founding fathers and whatever else you think is history. Anything in the USA absolutely pales in comparison to places elsewhere that absolutely ooze history. Jericho is over ten thousand years old, Istanbul is over five thousand years old, Athens, 5000, Jerusalem, 4000 and so on.
– Culture and Society. American Culture is spreading across the globe like a virulent plague and Americanisation and Commercialisation are gradually destroying many places. American culture is cheap and nasty, American products are cheap and nasty, I like to use the xbox 360 as a relevant example. It feels cheap and shoddy, it looks cheap and shoddy, it breaks easily, its ugly, and it is designed and made with the express intent of making money for rich white men. It’s shit. The same can be said for American cars, electronic products, the whole bloody lot.
American society is also very violent, America has had a very very gentle and calm history. List the number of times the USA has been invaded. List the number of empires that have conquered it, subjugated the local population and slaughtered dissidents. From every perspective, the USA has had a very sheltered and relaxed history. You can cry and whine about nasty Muslims blowing themselves up all you want, but it is nothing compared to, say, Africa which is ravaged by wars and massacres.
Why, then, are there so many murders? Why do people need bloody guns? Carrying a gun around annoys me more than anything else. A gun is designed for the express purpose of killing. Some people carry them for “self defence”, perhaps of the opinion that it will deter another attacker. Ultimately though, you don’t address violent crime by allowing everyone to carry around a potential murder weapon. Lets remember that the murderer can buy guns too.
– The illusion of benefiting the world. I will admit that there are a number of things invented by Americans that have benefited the world, but that list is very insignificant. Perhaps the only truly significant invention is artificial flight. The Wright brothers are the fathers of air travel, and air travel truly changed the world we live in. You can argue about various electronic technologies and the Internet, but these things are not exclusive to the USA.
If you compare this to, say, the inventions of agriculture, music, metalworking, language and writing, maps, philosophy, gunpowder, sailing, government, steam power, steel, wheels and axles, sanitation, medicine, currency, printing, clocks, telephones and computers. All of these are important and critical inventions that drastically effect our lives and the world we live in. None of them have anything significant to do with the USA.
Just to clarify again. I don’t hate America(ns) as such, but I do get very irritated by the country as a whole.
Oh, and everyone is too bloody religious, but I’m an evil Atheist, so I’d obviously say that…
More British commentary from the same thread:
Vietnam : that went well didnt it.
Pear Harbour: The only reason you joined in the war(late again) and even then only after Hitler had declared war on you.
Falklands war: cheers for the help there lads(still think we managed ok without you)
suez canal crisis: cheers for the help again
The ENGLISH language: thanks for murdering our language, it is called engilsh for a reason.
The IRA: the reason were so good at this war on terror business is because you funded them for the past 40 years. thanks.
Annoying accents: nuff said
Lack of history: you all seem so proud of your country yet its a very new country which has not really contributed to the world in general a great deal. However I do like Malboro Cigs so maybe thats the one good thing.
IRAQ: cheers for shootin at our lads , bit of a stupid mistake dont you think ?
National anthem: used to be to the tune of good save the queen but now just sounds a bit gay.
Finally, G.W> BUSH!!!!!: any country that re-elects anyone of that complete lack of mental fiber needs there independance revoked.
why the fuck would anyone go to america!
to get shot?
to get fat?
we’re not talking about accents, we’re talking about the language you use, the way you use it, your ridiculous intination, your spelling, your inability to speak at speed, need i go on?
In Europe we have 25 vacation days minimum, work 36 hours a week, have unlimited sick days (frankly to put a number of days of being sick, is sick in itself), amazing and affordable health care. You would think we would be fat and lazy. Yet our productivity has been proven to be far more superior then the States. We’re skinnier, healthier, and o, yes, that pesky Euro, cost you $1.60. USA, you’re the best, at FAILING. I feel so sorry for you, how you allow your government to take your country down the drain. Why don’t the American people stand up for themselves? Look at the housing market. The government works for you, not the other way around. Get out of your slump America, you can do it.
How this Brit defines Americans:
Don’t you just hate Americans? Everything about them is so utterly crass, so second-rate – from the sloppy way they dress to their junk food and whinging nasal twang. If only they’d leave us alone. But, being Yanks, they won’t, or can’t. To a man – even, it seems, to a woman – their sole aim in life is to turn us into Uncle Sams. Sadly, here in the United Kingdom it’s working all too well. Monopoly control of film distribution and cheap TV series ensure American ‘culture’ is everywhere. The result? Massive sales of Levi jeans, MacDonalds burgers, Ford and GM cars, Starbucks coffee, Budweiser beer, Jack Daniel’s whiskey, Dell and Macintosh computers – you name it. And all, in the end, to the detriment of our own native culture. However, for us British it doesn’t have to be this way. From today – appropriately, the eve of Prince Charles’ and Camilla Barker-Bowles’ historic wedding – let’s strive to make a stand against American encroachment.
More from our British friends:
The americans are IDIOTS! I am quite glad that many don’t own a passport so they can stay way from england and the rest of us. They think they own the world but have no knowledge of it; they are ignorant and have no concept of other cultures!
From Anonymous in Europe
What a load of fucking idiots. You’ve been dropping bombs, starting wars and killing innocent people (often your own citizens) for decades, and trying to control the world with phoney religion and boundless capitalism, so that you can literally ‘oil’ the wheels of your imperialist machine. No wonder everyone (not just Europe) hates you! I actually thought 9/11 might have finally made you all wake up to the fact that if you keep trying to fuck up the rest of the world the world, someone’s gonna try and fuck you up back (and they’ll keep trying till you realise). Although your empire is clearly crumbling before your eyes, and your greed has totally bankrupted you, all you can say is, “Why does everyone hate us? I know – let’s start another war!” It’s quite obvious to everyone that, as a nation you are an unusually backward and ignorant lot, but even YOU must accept that all empires throughout history, no matter how ‘great’ will eventually and inevitably crumble and fall. Like many other millions around the world, I am taking great pleasure in witnessing the collapse of your ‘great’ country and your supposed ‘power’ over the rest of us. May it be as swift and catastrophic as you deluded, bigotted, intolerant, gun obsessed, narrow-minded, racist, Christian, war-mongerers deserve.
fuck religion (all of it – Christianity is as equally ridiculous and false and irrelevant as Islam – learn some science, you superstitious neanderthals), fuck capitalism, fuck war, fuck the Stars and Stripes, and fuck America – fuck YOU ALL!
Even more from Britain:
I thought I’d comment on the “Why Britons hate Americans”. Clearly the guys who commented on that are a little misguided. The sad thing is, though, some of the things they say are perceived as true, because of the impression we get from American media, films, music, culture etc.
Let me address the main points from one of the posts:
(1) Patriotism – America is seen as fiercely patriotic, annoyingly so. In Britain we keep our patriotism to ourselves. We watch TV and see flags outside every house and Americans patronising the rest of the world by claiming their country to be the greatest nation that has ever existed. I’ve been to America on numerous occasions and have been irritated myself. I was in Orlando for example at the Epcot Center when a bunch of musicians started to sing folk songs, finishing with the obvious one – the National Anthem. Every single person stood up, put their hands on their hearts and sang loudly. I identified another Brit because we were the only ones sitting down. And boy did we get some bad stares. I was talking to my missus afterwards and asked “How many states are there?” An American lady glared at me as if I had committed a major crime by not knowing. In Britain we do not stand up and bellow the national anthem whenever we hear it. Most of hate it – it is dreary and boring and they sing about the monarch rather than the country.
Brits who have met Americans in Europe regard a lot of them as arrogant because by announcing that they are American seems to make them think that they deserve preferential treatment. In Britain that is frowned upon – seriously. From a personal point of view, I treat Americans as I treat everybody else.
(2) George W Bush – Many Brits are horrified that America elected a cheat. To be honest, not a lot of us know how the American political system works but the fact that he was elected in the first place is regarded as a travesty. And then of course he was elected AGAIN! A lot of Brits therefore think that the American people are just stupid for doing so. I know this is not true but the background is there.
(3) Outside America – I have to say that I have experienced the rather insular nature of Americans myself but I do not blame them for it, simply because the media does not expose you guys to what is happening in the rest of the world. I was there for two weeks once watching TV and reading newspapers and I only ever saw or heard news about what was going on in the local state or the country itself. We only heard about what was going on outside the US when it involved the US directly. I am sorry to say that I have been asked some pretty stupid questions like:
“Hey, a friend of mine lives in London. His name is John Smith. Do you know him?
“Wow – you’re from England. Do you know the Queen?”
“Do you have microwave ovens in England?”
“Are you from out of state?”
When the iron curtain came down and the Soviet Union imploded, it was a major event. In Europe we embraced it. Yet in America, I spoke to a few people who said “I don’t trust those commie bastards.” – they had no clue about what was going on.
The “World Series” also annoys the hell out of people because Brits (and others) think that Americans are so obsessed with themselves that they think that they are the only ones who count.
(4) Stupid Americans – I don’t think Americans are stupid. I believe that the country has its fair share of morons – as do we all. We have all seen comedy shows where Canadians and Australians TV shows have visited the US and made fools out of people on the streets who simply do not know what is going on outside their own state (as I’ve said above). One particular item I saw on You-Tube highlights this perfectly (I will dig it out and send it to you). An Australian comedian pretending to be a journalist had a world map labelling Australia as Iraq and asked loads of people to point Iraq out on the map. The number of people who didn’t know where Iraq was staggered even me. Worse still the number of people who believed that Australia was indeed Iraq was unbelievable. Recently we had an American Football player who, on his first trip to England said something like “I didn’t know they spoke English in London.” This is why we laugh.
I could go on but perhaps I should stop there. I may comment further later.
As I said in my post – I love America but I can understand why Brits and others are anti-American. As I said, most of those who hate America haven’t been there or met any Americans so their views are coloured by what they read about and see. When each presidential candidate stands up and claims that the US is the greatest nation ever, even I wince with embarrassment. There is also the view that we in Britain are becoming more American every single year. For example, ten years ago you would never see adverts trying to help people sue others for accidents; now we get this all the time. Our towns are being taken over by American franchises such as Starbucks and McDonalds. And, as I said, the American election is all over our news. I have conversations with people every day who say “Who the fuck cares????”
And a Canadian says:
Canadians Hate Americans Because….
1. They Are Ignorant
2. They Are Stupid Enough To Think We Live In Igloos, Ride dog sleds, Ride Polar bears, etc.
3. We Say “EH!” like 80% Less Then They Think
4. They Accually Voted George W. Bush As President
5. They Started A War and Brought Us Into It
6. They Think They Can Compete With Tim Hortons With Dunkin’ Donuts
7. They Still Think It’s Kool To Invade Iraq After 6 Years
8. 39% Of Them Eat Mcdonalds 3 Squares A Day
9. 75% Of Americans Will Be Over Wieght By 2015, Versus Our 13%
10. Supersize Me Just Made Them Hungrier
11. They Voted George Bush As Pesident, But They All Hate Him….???
12. Barbra Streisand
13. Al Gore Pretends He Cares About Global Warming To Become President
14. They Think They Can Compete With Our Hockey Players
15. They Hide Their Nuclear Submarines In The Georgia Straight
16. Their Beer Is 5% Alcohol and 95% Water
17.Gun murders alone in america top 15,000 where as in canada its just a mere 650 per year
18. They think the best way to deal with anything is to sue
19. Their beer
20. They all hate George Bush but still vote him to presidency.
21. After hearing about the 9/11 tragedy, George Bush continued (without hesitation) to read a storybook to a grade 1 class.
22. They act ignorant when they want to know the reasons why we hate them.
23. I support the troops going to iraq to help get peace
but why dont they stop being lazy and actually
look for osama or whatever hisi name is
24. They continue to stay in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.
25. George Bush’s ignorance to global warming
26. How their country is run by nothing but corporations
Some more Canadian opinions from this thread:
i bring alot of hate towards them i even got family in the states i consider them a lost cause theres realy so much about the states that i hate that its so hard to even explain they are whats wrong with the world they contribute to gobal destruction more then any other country on this planet they thrive on war and greed look at there country more people die from gun viloence there then any other country in the world they cant even treat people as equals in there own conrty but yet they go around the lobe preaching democrisy this and freedom that they cant even get there own country fixed but yet thell go to others and say you cant have this or that because we do and we dont want you to have it to there like a big child you know the one the one from when you were a kid the rich one that had to have what ever you did but better you all know the one i speak of but not even just that you cant have it after they do like nukes the united states in the last 100 years has been the only country in the world that has actauly deployed a nuke on a live target they destroyed heroshima and nagasakie and lied to there own pilots about what exactly they were droping and then they say that we should worry about iran and korea and iraq and all these other places why there all just trying to have a defence against what the states already has the worlds largest amount of nucluer weapons if you had a weapon that you could boss the rest of the world around with would you realy let anyone else have it or would you keep it away from them sounds like someones just avoiding karma for droping them in the first place
And more from Canada!
I believe that the main reason why we have a hate towards Americans is because of their ignorance on us. It is true that many of them strongly believe that Canada does not have the 4 seasons, that many of us live in Igloos, that Canadian soldiers do not carry guns and that 95% of our money goes towards paying taxes. But it is also true that many Canadians are also ignorant towards the Americans too. But many informed educated people in both Canada and USA know of the many social problems that surrounds USA.
It is important to understand that thanks to all of our money spent to pay the huge amount of federal and provincial taxes goes for a good cause. The numbers show it. The American population is about 10 times bigger than the Canadian one. So if Canada had the same population as the States, we should have about 6000 homicides a year. But we don’t… All thanks to the billions of dollars spent to pay those who cannot afford rent. They won’t need to murder or rob people to make a living or even afford a post-secondary education.
Speaking of education, Americans are thought in school about the power of USA. Unlike Canada where multiculturism is encouraged, pride over the country isn’t as strong as the Americans.
I an not encouraging the fact that one should not be proud of their country but I am stating that pride often brings ignorance.
And to contradict the fact that we hate the USA because we are jealous. Does that mean it is the same for all the other countries that hate USA. I know for one that South Korea has a big hate towards the USA because of historial reasons (There were partly responsible for the seperation of the 2 Koreas) and also because of the big American military presence in the country that a caused a couple of civilian casulties in the past couple of years.
As of myself, I love Canada, I love the 4 seasons, I love the multiculture presence here, I love our international presence, I love the strict gun laws, I love the affordable education and health system, and I love poutine lol.
You only have to look at all the groups on here to see that there are hundreds of “hate america groups”. How come it is only Americans who dont know why they are despised. You just have to read the low level trash from people like Matt to see why Americans are so universally loathed. I suggest you go to a few groups to get a general picture of how americans speak. It doesnt take long to see there are idiots like Matt on every single group.Some uneducated retard saying how great America is.It cannot be denied Americans are uncouth, uneducated low life trash that no more deserve life than a cockroach.
Men trying to be so macho it makes you want to puke. And women so dumb and slutty it sets back the feminist movement years.
Why do Americans have no perception of how shitty they are? How can anyone be so fucking ignorant and so arrogant at the same time ?
It is the unconditional pride which is the most off-putting. How can people be proud of such a shameful and immoral country? — more here
Are you all indoctrinated at birth or is it the fact that you are completely blind to the way the rest of the world views you. Do you not know that you are hated with a passion all over the world. Your president is ridiculed, your last few defence secretaries have been discredited, and you have the greatest number of fraudulent “men of god” than in the rest of the entire world. Your health system is accessible only by the rich, racism is prevalent in the south, the jokes I heard coming out of America after the hurricane hit Louisiana, were far greater in number than the assistance offered. Your obesity levels have risen to over 50%, you value celebrities and pay them ludicrous amounts of money in a week which would be more than anything a doctor or a teacher could earn in years.Your defence lawyers have made a mockery of the word justice.
Your gun laws are made by people who benefit vastly in financial terms from the pro gun lobby.
And there is plenty more where that came from. I see this group struggles to gain members, I can understand why.
But until you are finally swamped in over-heated world, with diminishing land masses, especially at the poles which will simply increase the rate of warming exponentially, you Virgomonkey, will keep your air-conditioning on at full strength, and drive your 3 litre Mitsubishi, because – well you really don’t know WHAT to believe so you’ll just carry on in your own little comfort zone.
Hear from an Australian:
i hate fucking americans. i am an australian. americans have screwed this country right up with there fast foods and shit they have brought over. because of that australia is turning into a mirror image of america. the influence america has put on the children of australia have got them fucking thinking they are black and acting all black rapper like. i know its there choice to act that way but if it wasnt for americans then they would never have that influence in the first place. of course this is just my opinion but i still say fuck you americans and get the fuck outta this country and go fuck up your own some more with your wars and fast food and shit.
10 things I hate about Americans – by an Australian
(1) Ignorance – recently an American asked if Darren Rowse was anywhere near Cyclone Larry. Darren lives in Melbourne, Larry is in far north Queensland. Don’t worry mate, your only a couple of thousand kilometres off (don’t get me started on the imperial system)
(2) Arrogance – just because they’re the worlds only remaining superpower doesn’t mean that they are better than anyone else. In fact, I consider most countries superior to American in a lot of things, eg. friendliness, talent, skill.
(3) Strong arm action – they believe that using military tactics will give them everything. It might at the moment, but it is causing all the nations that they invade to hate them.
(4) Poor political decision – Americans voted for Bush. Enough said.
(5) Mess around with our language – I hate the way Americans have destroyed the honourable English language. First they screwed around with spelling (Mum, not Mom!) and they have an idiotic accent that instantly makes people angry.
(6) Cultural bullies – Americans try to push their culture onto everyone else. Take the TV show, the O.C. It is the worst show I have ever seen and yet it is being forced upon us. Bloody Americans!
(7) Gun control – in America you can walk around with a gun. What a great idea! How stupid could you be!!! No wonder people are constantly killing each other.
( 8 ) Rap music – an American phenomena that I dislike immensely. I would not even call it music, but they lap it up.
(9) Celebrity worship – actors and singers are at the top of the American social ladder, despite the fact that they don’t actually do anything.
(10) Oprah Winfrey – *shudders uncontrollably* – and I’m not the only one.
More from Australia:
Euro chicks are hot as hell, Swedes in particular. The yanks are gortesquely obese, unhygienic, trailer trash vibe, toothless hicks. The rest are plastic pumped full of fake shit. Stat that is telling is.. “72% of american women get changed in the bathroom away from their husband”
…So they feel..
Thats yankees, maybe its the grotesquely fat ass shes worried about. PMSL.
More from the Canadians
Canada is the product of an arranged marriage that has been difficult. As such, young Canada is leery of simplistic window dressing, which explains why we’ve never strutted ourselves across any stage or blared our own horn or imagined that the “Canadian Way” should work for everyone else.
Canada is young, but by no means the adolescent nation that the USA is. Their flag waving, hand-on-heart patriotism is actually a cover-up for a very basic insecurity and rather unfortunate split personality that vacillates and lurches between isolationism and economic imperialism.
Canada doesn’t want to have “dates”. Canada wants to adopt. Canada lives in a very large house, has lots of room, and is looking for children who will not trash the house, or tear it down, but who will respect the rules, help mow the lawn, and take the garbage out. –Yours truly in Heather Mallick’s column from the CBC!
Everyone wonders: why the anti-americanism in Canada? I haven’t read all these blogs, but I’ll tell you again if the reasons are already stated: when was the last time the US supported Canada in Canadian interest, rather than the usual all-about-me-the-great-America interest? When was the last time you saw an American praising Canada and waving the Canadian flag…maybe even proudly??? I don’t think there was a last time. There was no time at all. Although I don’t hate all americans (51% at least). Ok, so maybe the US supported Canada once or twice. Maybe even three times. But the number of times Americans supported Canada will never be half, if not a third or even a millionth, of how many times Canada had to give in the the greedy and ignorant ways of the American government. Maybe this will help you readers understand the sentiments better. I’m pretty sure most of you read the “I AM CANADIAN/ITALIAN/CHINESE/AMERICAN” email that goes around a lot (it’s also one of the best Canadian commercials ever). They have good reasons in that email. And as a multicultural country – no, white culturalism doesn’t count – we have a right to make fun of Americans for being ignorant and racist (which most are, especially in the South). Oh, by the way, we can kick your sorry ass at hockey ANYDAY. Hasn’t the olympics taught you anything? We’ve beaten you like a million times already. –Comment section from this post
This site believes that the following are good reasons to hate America and Americans:
A comment on an Americanophobic Youtube page from Venezuela: The following are what she hates about America. (Reading from the bottom up would be the correct order.)
What the Americanophobic Germans are saying:
1. Perceived American religiosity and/or prudishness.
2. Perceived American obsession with guns and violence.
3. The death penalty.
4. The perceived excess and superficiality of American capitalism and (non)culture (i.e. fat people, the super rich, SUVs, fast-food, M-TV/hip-hop culture, Hollywood, corporate scandals, buy-outs and “excessive” profits.)
5. Exaggeration of social inequality in the United States (i.e. amerikanische Verhaeltnisse, poor Americans are starving and freezing to death or at least struggling with 2-3 jobs and no health insurance while the rich live it up. Perception that America has no social safety net or a woefully inadequate social safety net.)
6. Racism in America
7. America as gluttonous world polluter.
8. Perceived American unilateralism/exceptionalism (i.e. Iraq, Kyoto, ICC, Guantanamo)
9. Perceived American “hurrah” patriotism or “hyper” patriotism (i.e. flag-waving).
10. Perceived American paranoia/overreaction about terror and obsession with security and the “war” on terror and the perceived willingness of Americans to sacrifice key civil liberties (the Patriot Act has become a favored target) and take extrajudicial actions involving torture, renditions, etc.
11. The perception that the Bush administration controls (or at least dominates) the media and can somehow intimidate or cow the media into following the party line. The perceived view that there is a lack of diversity of opinion in US media (because it is allegedly dominated by conservatives!) The perceived view that FoxNews, talk radio and blogs are the menacing conservative vanguard of what all US media are becoming or have already become. (i.e. US media are “gleichgeschaltet” or in lock-step with Bush and the neo-cons.)
12. Anything that casts a negative light on the US military (i.e. Abu Ghraib, trials of US troops, bombings or killings of civilians real or imagined).
13. Anything that casts a negative light on the Bush administration.
14. Iraq is a disaster-quagmire-catastrophe-debacle perhaps unparalleled in human history. Iraq = Vietnam = defeat and humiliation for America, the US military and Bush.
15. The perception of the US as an imperial hegemon out to expand its global power and military-industrial complex while using democracy as a convenient (yet false) excuse to do so. Oil = blood = Halliburton = war.
Natalie Goodman (a westerner living in S. Korea responds to this sloppy researched post on American violence):
The author makes a good point. We must lose all these political correctness and get face to face with the reality with Americans. They are sex and violence crazed maniacs, most of them are.
Chileno the high rate of all this violence and crimes in America is a proof that Americans are violence. Which peace loving country makes such a mess at home and abroad? Shedding politically correct statements is not racial superiority it is facing reality. Anthropology or linguistic data can’t explain the excessive amount of swearwords Americans make at every conversation. How would you do that anyway? Find some ‘f***’ genes in American DNA or understand the correct usage of ‘f***’ words in situations. Americans must have inherited a language of curse and swearwords from South Americans who find it odd to say ‘please’. The Finland massacre happened today November 08th, how can the author (sic) forsee this on October 4th? And this happened because of US influence in Finnish (sic) schoolkids, read the (sic) newslink you posted here.
Americans have become a disease who are trying to infect the world with their culture of violence, gluttony and sex (sic) obession.
This person thinks that there were no American “victims” of 9-11, and only voted for Bush to continue being “Imperialists”
George Bush, in his opening statements admitted that the 11th September attacks were an “act of war” (as opposed to terrorism), which was later washed over by the American media to appease the American “victims”. The WTC and Pentagon were financial and military targets, the civilian casualties were, as one would call it – collateral damage. They chose to strike in the only way that was available to them, the only way they could get back on their oppressors. The 3000 civilians got in their way, like the 40000 civilians in Fallujah got in the way of Americans.
The problem with Americans is, they claim to not support what their government does while continuing to vote them to power and reap the material benefits of US imperialism. When they face the consequences, they instantly go into denial, passing-the-buck and vilifying the avenger. You simply can’t go into powerless third world countries, bomb their homes, rape their women, kill their families and rip off their societies while expecting no consequences in return. Just because these people don’t talk, dress or live like Americans do, doesn’t mean that their life is less worthy of living than Americans.
Because America’s values are based on celebrities and ignorance:
The vast majority of Europeans do not hate Americans as such but some see the American government as a hugely destabilising factor in the world, primarily after the collapse of the USSR. The successive governments of US (mainly Republicans) have followed a neo-colonialist foreign policy through economic, military or political imperialism around the world – before and after the breakup of Soviet Union. Human rights and the voice of the people in the victim countries were hardly given any credence, Iraq is an example. An organised PR campaign is used to hide the hard bitter facts from the American people. News is doctored and managed to suit the American tastes or face rebuke and even persecution if it is harshly real. It shows itself when a lot of Americans air their twisted and ignorant views about the world; it evokes laughter, shock and outrage in the liberal and worldly Europe which Americans often mistake for hate and jealousy.
The European values and systems are different and Europe is not bound to Americanise its system, especially when that system goes against the core liberal and democratic principles of European countries. Europeans value culture and knowledge in contrast to Americans who value celebrities and ignorance. One has to have a look at American news media sources and compare with European media to see the obvious. Europeans of today are for peace and diplomacy rather than wars and intimidation; they had enough wars to know that war is never a solution to a problem, rather the problem itself. Europeans are for diversity and multi-culturalism instead of religious and racial conservatism. There is no place in the world – as multicultural, diverse and unified as the European Union. They are accepting of the world as it is and do not suffer from an isolationist attitude and do not try to change the world to suit their ideals, at the cost of of human lives and freedom.
A small fraction of these are true, some are myths, some are the truth exaggerated, and some are pure propaganda. Please read my blog (under theAnti-American topics) to see how I address the above stereotypes of the “average American”.